What’s the Difference between Hearing Care Professionals?

You may have noticed a hearing change in yourself or a loved one. That means you lived a full life of many experiences and sounds, and it is not a bad thing. It is normal. Hearing change starts affecting people in their 40s. It is not about getting old. It is about having lived a full life, living life out loud, and not compromising on your enjoyment and celebration of sound over the years. It is a matter of perspective.

Up until now, you’ve had a choice. Get a price or value based hearing aid. Buying a cheaper product will cost you hearing benefits in the end because the technology will not perform as well in noisy situations, group conversation, restaurants, and the like. Getting a better product will perform better in difficult listenting situations but usually runs $1000s more. Price-based selection will often come with less service and support.

Consider also who is proving service and support - Is this a tech, practitioner, audiologist or Doctor of Audiology. Why get a less trained professional with less experience?

Ossicle’s Doctor of Audiology provides more clinical care and support/service for a lower price than most techs, practitioners or audiologists. With Ossicle’s unique and fair pricing structure, you get the best of both worlds eliminating the choice to go discount-store or high-end priced clinic. Ossicle’s hearing aid pricing is $1000s less for the same and better technology without compromising and in fact getting better holistic hearing health care.

So why get a hearing aid anywhere else?

There are five levels of hearing health care providers.

EAR Doctor: An Otolaryngologist is also referred to as an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist (ENT) – is a medical surgeon. Otolayrngologists diagnose and medically treat diseases of the ear, nose, and throat. They typically earn a four-year undergraduate university degree followed by an additional four-year medical degree with a four-to-five year specialized residency program.

ENTs are registered under the College of Physicians and Surgeons. ENTs require that you be referred by your family doctor.

HEARING Doctor: A Doctor of Audiology is a Registered Audiologist with an additional Clinical Doctorate degree in hearing science. This is he highest non-surgical designation in the field of hearing care.

A Registered Audiologist is a healthcare professional who is university trained and has earned a minimum of a Master’s degree of education that specializes in hearing-related communication disorders, physiology of speech and hearing, hearing loss, hearing conservation, hearing aids, assistive listening devices, aural rehabilitation, and treatment of hearing loss for all ages. They typically earn a four-year undergraduate university degree followed by an additional two or three year Master’s (graduate) degree.

Some Audiologists use the abbreviation AUD behind their name to insinuate they have the Doctorate, but don’t. Check into their credentials before assuming your Audiologist is a Doctor of Audiology.

A Registered Hearing Instrument Practitioner (RHIP) is a hearing healthcare professional who typically earns a two year community college diploma in hearing testing, hearing aids and assistive listening devices. HIPs are generally restricted to serving adults.

A Technician has taken either College-level or ad-hoc certification in basic tasks related to the work of a Practitioner, Audiologist, or Doctor of Audiology.

Email by clicking here | Call 236-420-HEAR (4327) | Fax 888-870-6466 | copyright 2016